Thursday, August 28, 2008

We Need Daddy the Most

Tonight Jessie was upset about Daddy Todd not being able to come home this weekend; we thought there was a slight chance, but it just didn't work out. I was trying to cheer her up by telling her about the football game we're going to tomorrow night - cheerleaders, bands, food. Her eyes lit up for a second, and then she said, "But we need Daddy the most." You know you have a high standing when you trump football, cheerleaders and marching bands. They really miss him.

So do I.

A friend sent me a message today asking how I was holding up. Most days we do pretty well. I have to say that I have no idea how single parents do this. I really think I am past tired, and it's so weird knowing there's no back-up when I'm tired or not feeling so great. Today was also difficult because I felt like a bad mom. Emma has had a persistent cough, but I waited it out thinking it would go away, plus she'd had no other symptoms and was completely functional. Anyway, the last few days she had said that she was just not feeling well, and it was starting to show. So, off we trek to the doctor today where she had a breathing treatment, was prescribed an antibiotic, steroid and and inhaler. We also made a visit to the radiologist for a chest x-ray to make sure she didn't have walking pneumonia. She was one sick little girl. I felt so low...I cried. And later, I cried some more.

The great news is that her lungs are clear. The weird news is that she looks really bad tonight. When I married into this Williams clan, I learned that I could tell if Todd is sick by looking under his eyes. If they're dark, I send him straight away to the doctor. Apparently this is a whole-family thing, and it works with Emma as well. Now the doctor said we would see marked improvement within two days and that she should be completely better in five. So, I leave our appointments feeling very cheerful, but she did not feel well tonight, and her Williams signs were not looking good. Will you please pray for her when you read this. I sure would appreciate it.

While you're at it, pray for me - I need my heavenly Daddy the most.




Update - I need to add that I have great in-laws and friends who have helped me out immensely and check in on me! When I said there was no back-up, I mean when I don't feel like baths, bedtime, daily routine stuff. I re-read my post and thought it sounded most ungrateful which I am most definitely not! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh, Dee Dee. I wish you lived closer so I could give you a break!

I will definitely be praying...for ALL of you. Daddy is such an important part of the family at our house too. John is leaving on a business trip tomorrow (who travels on Labor Day weekend??!??) and my kids were all crying and begging him not to go. So pitiful.

And I totally get the under eye/illness connection. My girls are the same way.

Hang in there. You're a great mom, you just have a lot on your shoulders right now.

Love and blessings!
Mer

Unknown said...

I absolutely understand....Philippians 4:7 is a constant comfort ..."and the peace of God which transcends ALL understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." Allow God's unexplainable peace to lift you up. And remember, you have a choice...so CHOOSE LIFE! Try to find a way to take pictures and make memories with the girls during this time so that when it is over, you have some blessings to show for it and stories to tell. Do something you wouldn't normally do with Dad around....break a Dad rule (just once)...have an all girls slumber party in Mom's room...or in the living room....have pajama day or movie day ...or desserts only day...but whatever you choose to do...CHOOSE LIFE! Sherrey