Monday, December 1, 2008

SOS - Save our Supper!

I'm curious about your favorite holiday-time dinners, dishes, drinks, etc. Trying to be oh-so-wise, we decided that it was not a good idea to unpack everything at the rent house. I still think it was a good decision overall because we have way too much stuff, and the thought of having to pack it all up again in six months when the lease is up is a little daunting, to say the least.

That brings me to the part where my Christmas keepsake book is still in a box somewhere. I keep all my Christmas recipes in this book...

Rather than pout and completely spoil the wonderful season, I decided to see what your favorite things to eat and drink are and if you would share the recipes with me. I usually try to scatter holiday dishes throughout the month since we're kinda big on food around here so I'm up for just about anything.

Besides dinner-type stuff, I'm also looking for a good Christmas morning breakfast dish. We normally eat this wonderful treat called Apple Puff Flapjacks, but maybe it's time for something new. Thanks for the help!




7 comments:

Unknown said...

For breakfast we always do that breakfast casserole thing with bread, sausage, and cheese soaked overnight in egg. It's an easy pop-in-the-oven thing for the morning. That makes doing Santa easy...breakfast cooks while you open presents!

Amy said...

Hey. My mom always did what we call 6 day biscuits. They are just canned biscuits cooked, then there is a cream cheese/sugar mixture that you pour over the top with pecans (SO GOOD). And, we have sausage balls, because they can be made ahead of time. It is such a yummy combination. I can't put my hands on my recipe, but I'll send it your way when I get it.

I don't usually do it on Christmas morning, because we have to get ready to travel. But, I usually do it on Christmas Eve. So, I'll get the recipe soon.

Also, I'm checking here frequently for all the good ideas. I'm always in need of a great new recipe. Great idea.

Amy

Jill said...

O.K. like Amy we do a casserole..but instead of eggs we do grits, that way we don't have to soak overnight. It's just grits, cheese, and sausage (bulk). You cold add onions and peppers but we don't. We also eat pigs n a blanket for Christmas morning. Both are easy to put on while opening presents.

Tiffany Brooks said...

Hey there. we do the breakfast casserole with bread, sausage, egg and cheese and let soak overnight. nice to have it done the night before. then we also do cheese grits and monkey bread or cinnamon rolls.

Lori said...

We have "Christmas Bread" every Christmas morning. You prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven Christmas morning. It's pretty AND tastes good!

1 pkg bridgeford rolls
1 pkg butterscotch pudding (NOT instant)mix
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Spray Pam in large bundt pan
Place the frozen rolls in the pan
Sprinkle dry pudding mix on top
In sauce pan, bring 1 stick butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts to a boil.
Pour over rolls
Cover with Saran Wrap and let rise over night (They sometimes rise too much and overflow so you may want to put something under the pan)
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
I usually flip mine out on a cake plate to serve...

Melissa Dovel said...

Just came across you blog so I hope you still checking in for Christmas morn. breakfast. Souds funny but its great and my MIL is the one who makes it (now me too). Anyway bisquick or some sort of bread mix roll it out like your making cinnamon rolls they take raw pork sasuage and make a layer over the dough and roll it up like a cinnamon roll and slice like a cinnamon roll and bake its also nice to save some sasuage to make some gravy to top them off. EVERYONE here loves em! I hope that you get to try it.

Blessings
Melissa
North Texas (not sure where you are)

Melissa Dovel said...

Hey im trying Lori's :)