Monday, March 8, 2010

The Summer Olympics?

Today for our history lesson we studied the beginnings and history of the Olympics.  The girls were really excited about this because what little Olympics we watched this winter, they were really into.  (I know that’s really bad grammar but too much in a hurry to fix it!)  I won’t even go into how frustrating it was to close on a house the day the Olympics started and the fact that once we were pseudo settled, we didn’t have a converter box to pick up any channels.  Okay, so I sort of went into it, but you gotta feel some of my pain.  And, I realize I sound like a complete whiner, but it’s the Olympics, people!

So something I didn’t know that was surprising: The last Greek Olympics were in A.D. 395 because Olympia was destroyed by an earthquake.  They weren’t reinstated until the late 1800s.  Am I the only one who missed this is my history classes?  I just assumed they’d been going on since the Greek time.  Maybe I shouldn’t publicly admit that…

We went back to the “roots” of the games and had five competitions: a foot race, arm wrestling (The Greeks just wrestled, but I figured this was safer.), jumping, discus (plastic lid throwing)  and throwing the javelin (or a really big stick).  I captured some of competitions and just love the very competitive looks on my girls’ faces.  If you know them, this won’t surprise you a bit.  They are very tenacious girls.  Very feminine, but very determined.

Olympics 102

Notice Aubrie lost in Aubrie-land.

Olympics 118

Here’s some of that determination in action!

Olympics 129

Olympics 130

Olympics 143

Olympics 153

Olympics 156

The Winner’s Circle

3 comments:

gracefilledlife said...

Ok, there are no medals in your winners circle. C'mon, mom, we know you have some craftiness in you to have made some medals. :)

Dee Dee said...

You need to look closer, OR I need to make bigger medals! :-) They have flowers w/streamers for their "medals." Heehee.

Jill said...

too precious! We should have a little field day/olympics day when the rain stops IF IT EVER STOPS!!! I didn't know that about the Olympics stopping either. We're not there yet, we're just to the Egyptians so that'll be in a few weeks. It's weird though, I thought they had been going on forever too.