Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fitness Dilema

Before we moved to Cedar Creek, I checked online to see where the nearest YMCA was located. I thought there was one about 20 minutes away which, although not near as convenient as Clinton, was reasonable. Well, the map on the internet was way off. I mean really off. The Y is actually about 40 to 45 minutes away which is not okay. So, I've called and asked around, and the ONLY place with childcare here is Jazzercise, and they charge you for keeping your kids. I'm not a big class taker when it comes to exercise so this idea leaves me pretty cold. I love to be on a treadmill with great music and Fox News. I don't mean to sound anti-social, but I need a little bit of alone time in order for it to be safe for others to come near me. I love being with people, but if I don't get that time alone, it can really affect me in some not-so-pretty ways.

So, I need some help. Our driveway is .10 of a mile. I can run it at the crack o'dawn before Todd leaves (not likely to happen), do a work-out video not quite so early, or purchase a jogging stroller for my two youngest and hope Emma can keep up. Quite frankly, I'm not sure how far I'd get pushing the 75-80 lbs in the stroller. The other option is to buy a treadmill...but where to put it??

Is there anything you can think of to help me out of this crisis? Between the comfort eating I was doing in Clinton with Todd in TX and the lack of exercise since we've been here, things are starting to get a little scary. Please help me out of this mess I'm rapidly getting myself into! Anyone else have fitness challenges that they've overcome? I really need some ideas here...so stumped.




5 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Dee Dee...I have a treadmill that sits in a lonely corner of our basement.

I HAD a jogging stroller and found that I couldn't push it and swing my arms and I need to swing my arms to run.

My best advice: Recruit a friend to walk with you. I absolutely must have accountability.

Amy said...

Oh, dear. I am feeling your pain. I don't know what I would do without the Y. But, you know I love the classes.

You do love the treadmill, so if you had somewhere to put it I believe you would use it.

The video thing is going to get old. Quick.

A jogging stroller is a great workout even just walking because you are pushing so much weight. That's what I did when I was pregnant with Claire. The boys would ride and it was quite heavy. I just don't know that you could do it as much as you'd like with Emma walking.

All of that to say, I'm going to have to think on it. No great ideas yet. BUT, the thought of you in jazzercise has made me chuckle. I didn't even know jazzercise was still around. If you join, you must wear some shiny tights and a sweat band (send my a picture :)

Amy

Jill said...

Do you get to wear sweat bands and leg warmers at Jazzercise?? I can just picture it!

I think the treadmill is your life saver. You love it and you need that alone time. Either that or run in the morning before Todd leaves...but that's quite early now, isn't it?? The jogging stroller isn't a bad idea for every now and then but you're not getting your Dee Dee time with that. I know I'm not helping much...am I?? I miss my gym buddy!

Dee Dee said...

hmmm...two votes for the treadmill...I do love my treadmill time, and two kinda sortas for the stoller. The up side is that there is a river walk here right on the Colorado River so there is a great location just waiting for me.

Mer, don't feel badly for me, but I don't have any friends to walk with yet! Todd and I were just talking about the fact that we have to join a small group at our church soon, or I'm going to shrivel up and die. Maybe somewhere down the road I can get me a walkin' buddy...

We've finaly found a homeschool group online and will have our first outing with them next week - I'm hoping to meet a mom/family with kids the same or approx. same age because that always seems to help...and try not to seem like I'm stalking or desparate!!

Thanks for your input...it really helps. Now to search the want ads for treadmill and stroller, maybe ebay?

I'll let you know about those Jazzercise photos. Too bad I didn't save my matching leg warmers and headband from dance class back in '86.

Unknown said...

D2(Has anyone called you that in a while?),
I don't have a good solution for you! I have a treadmill but, alas, Cole set it back up this week as if he was going to use it.(I'll let you know how that goes!)
If Cole didn't scare you off with that Geo Caching thing, we'd love to hang sometime! I enjoyed our lunch date!

-Pam