Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bedtime with Aubrie

My simple read a story, sing a song, say a prayer routine has morphed significantly since Aubrie was able to speak. She wins the award for being the most independent of the three girls. I thought this was physically impossible.

We get to the changing table, and she doesn't want to lay down. She wants look at and play with just about everything on the table. She wants her teeth medicine (aka. orajel), she wants to put her diaper cream on herself (which I never let her do so I can't figure out why she still asks every time). When we finally get her diaper changed, she also wants to help with the putting on of the pajamas. "I hep, I hep." Okay, so this takes quite a while.

Then, "buk, buk." So she picks out a book, and so do I. You see, I'm not allowed to hold the one she picks out. She proceeds to get into the rocking chair. She wants me to sit on the footstool and makes this very clear if I forget. (We started out, of course, with me holding her in the chair reading the book together.) She will have none of that since she must think she is grown by now. (I know, you may ask yourself who is the parent here - I promise that not every area of our life is like this!)

She reads her book, and I read mine to her. We put up our books and turn out the light. In days gone by, I would pick her up to rock her, and she would actually cuddle with me. Not so anymore. She thinks it is great fun to hide from me after the light is out. Of course, she hides in plain view, but who can resist trying to find her? After I've found her a couple of times, I hide, too. When she comes to find me, I seize the moment, scoop her up and head for the last phase of this insane routine.

I try to sing a quick song before I am told, "No sing, no sing." Of course, I'm mortally wounded since singing is one of my favorite things in life. How can my own child not want me to sing to her? Next is, "Pay, pay." "You want me to pray?" Shakes the head. So, I pray for her and down she goes. This hilarious child wants a pacifier not only for her mouth but also one to hold. She calls them her boppies. I have no idea. She beds down, and I'm on to the next two.

Close your eyes and dream sweet dreams!


1 comment:

Lori said...

You need to save this posting for her! If you're like me, I say that you should print it out and then stick it in her rubbermaid tub (which is where I keep the stuff that's suppose to go in the baby book). I guess, I'm somewhat organized - my girls do have their own tub. When they get older, I can just hand it to them and say, here's your baby book! :)