Sunday, June 29, 2008

More from Mozambique

I got a chance to talk to Todd tonight and get caught up on what he's been up to half a world away. I think the girls are really starting to miss him so, if you think about it, please pray for them (and Mommy) that we can hang in there until Friday. My great friend Amy is taking the girls for me tomorrow so I can have some Mommy time, and Nanny kept all three Friday night (I cleaned the whole house - such fun!) and Emma and Aubrie Sat. night. I think I'm starting to catch up a little from our trip - the drive back home from TX really wore me out!

Here's a sketch of what Big T's been up to:

Last Tues/Wed - He went to Nacala (on the Indian Ocean). He got to ride into the bush where they saw three or four villages where there is no evangelical work being done; there is hope to start work there soon. He was also very excited about getting to ride on a dirt road that became a walking trail (that they drove on anyway) which dead ended into the Ocean. Very much up his alley! They stayed on the beach at a place called Bay Diving where they slept to the sound of waves under their thatched roofs and mosquito nets.

Saturday he was back on the coast but this time in Angoche. The trip there was about 250 kilometers (going to have to re-learn that metric system...ugh) on a dirt road. They drove through a Koti area, and all I know about that group of people is that they fish for their livelihood. In addition to the Koti the Makhuwa people also live there, but they are separated from the Koti by a mountain.

Sunday he got to attend a local church which had a concrete floor and concrete walls with a metal roof. Pastor Fernando preached - the sermon was in Portuguese and Makhuwa. Todd said the music was great with about half African music and half hymns which were adapted to the African worship style. Lots of drums and other instruments; I can't wait for the girls to experience that!

He said to let everyone know that another highlight of the trip has been getting to visit with some missionaries who previously served two years in western Moz. Apparently, they have lots of crocodile stories...people getting yanked out of moving boats by these massive creatures. Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle, please.

It's already Monday morning for him so he just has two more days in-country before he'll begin the long trek home. Please continue to pray for safety, health and that God will continue to confirm in us that this is God's perfect plan for our family.


1 comment:

MrsWallace said...

Dee Dee, I am so excited for you all, and I think about you all of the time. I hope that Todd will come back with many more fantastic stories that will encourage and challenge you. Call me anytime if you need help. I'm SERIOUS! I have too much free time. :)