Monday, October 13, 2008

Bunko Night

I had never heard of Bunko until I moved to Mississippi and was pregnant with Emma. I subbed for a friend of mine, and I have to be honest, I thought, "This has to be the silliest game ever." You sit around a table with your partner and another team and try to roll sixes. That's it. No strategy, no skill required. Which, as it turns out, is a good thing since I'm doing good to count how many sixes I've rolled. Seems I can't talk and count at the same time, go figure.

Anyway, we've had some turnover and some babies born so we made an executive decision not to have Bunko last month. I was so disappointed! The girls I play with are so much fun, and I really look forward to spending time with them. Since I'm more home bound than usual, it was really sad to not have my time with them. Most of the girls are in my Sunday school class, but it's just not the same as our time together every 2nd Monday of the month. For instance, I don't think our SS teachers would be too thrilled if we decided to talk about the woes of nursing babies for half an hour like we did tonight. It's just that kind of group where we can talk about quite a lot. I also love this group because, aside from a few rare exceptions, we are gossip-free. It is just so great and makes me really proud of our little group.

So, in the midst of missing Todd and being stretched really thin, tonight was just what I needed. Some really good food and great atmosphere (Thanks, Lori.) and wonderful friends. Just the thing for what ails me.



3 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I LOVE Bunco too, Dee Dee! It's my favorite night of the entire month. We're playing Thursday, but I think I'm going to have to get a sub b/c I have teacher conferences. What was I thinking when I scheduled them for that night???!?? So bummed about that.

Tiffany Brooks said...

Hey. Love Bunko too. It was so good to have it again last night. Also, i was thinking about you all day that Sunday at Global Impact Celebration. I knew listening to her in ss was hard for you too. Had you on my mind all day that day. You have been so strong through all of this and I know the Lord will reward your faithfulness and obedience to Him. Your family will continue to be in my prayers. See you at bible study tomorrow.

Lori said...

Bunko night is definitely a night I look forward to. I wonder how other mothers make it without it :)