Friday, February 13, 2009

A New Day

I'm so glad that God's mercies are new every morning. It's amazing how his word can lift me out of the pit over and over again; usually the pit of my self-pity. Today, I read in Ephesians because it's what our homegroup is studying. Here's just a run-down of the good stuff God pumped into me today:
1. I have been called to hope.

2. I have the riches of a glorious inheritance.

3. I can know the power of God that a) raised Christ from the dead - it can also transform all the "dead" spots in me, b) seated Christ at the right hand of God - His work was done/complete, and c) placed all things under Christ's feet and placed him at the head the church.

That's some pretty powerful stuff and has so helped my despairing attitude of yesterday.

So, I was thinking about how aggravating it is to not know at least a little bit of the big picture when I started thinking about the small picture and the things I know I should be doing regardless. Loving my husband, loving the girls, loving on the folks around me. And, let me tell you, there are plenty of people who need loving! Back in Clinton, homeschool mom is synonymous with Christian mom. Not so here. There is such a cultural mix here at our playdate group and even at church. So many people are seeking and looking for answers, and Jesus is right there waiting for them. It's pretty exciting to have a mission field that is so ready for the harvest right in front of our noses. I think God may get a chuckle out of that one. "I'm not sending you to Mozambique. How 'bout Austin?" Our homegroup which meets twice a month is the biggest breath of fresh air I could have ever longed for. People are there from all different backgrounds and some don't know Christ at all. But they come to home group. Amazing. God is really at work all around us.

Okay, I was just sitting here typing and realized that I've left out a big part of my frustration. A few weeks before Christmas, Todd got a pay cut. A big one. So, we moved to Austin for a promotion with a certain plan in mind; a few acres to learn to be chicken/goat farmers, and that plan no longer exists in its original form. Not life-shattering, I know, but still more change in an already big transition time. I'm just not so great at that. I like a plan. I like a plan even more when I get to check off all the steps. So, we are trying to look for a house where we could still possibly have chickens (sorry goats) and trying to decide what our revised budget needs to look like. This majorly stresses me out because we can't seem to land on a new plan.

More random stuff. One of Emma's best new buds is a hoot, and she and Emma are peas in a pod. Emma's lost some more teeth, and we're thankful to have Olivia around so she can be in good company! :-)



Yes, they both have their pajamas on. We had Olivia's family over for dinner, and Melinda said they would love to come but that they would probably bathe their kids and have them come in pjs. Sounded like a great excuse for a pajama party to me!

Last random tidbit. I'm no photographer, but I had some fun playing with some pictures I took of Mary, Micah and Judah. Hope you enjoy.










4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

GREAT post, Dee Dee! I love the pics of your sister and her family, love the pj/toothless girl pics, and love that you're getting to be around folks who are in different places in their christian walk. That was so refreshing for me when we moved to Colorado. Realizing that there were so many different ways to walk it all out.

Oh, and they pay cut stuff. I totally empathize. John took a pay cut when we moved to CO and then he quit that job and freelanced, and wowza, we've been on a financial journey. Hard, but good, and God has done a LOT of stripping away/paring down over the years. I realize that there is very little I need, and I'm grateful for what I do have. Anytime you need to talk/vent/do something with fear, let me know. I'm pretty sure I've worn that path thin.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh, and the heater/van in one day? YEP. I did end up crying, and I cursed a little too, then called John. It was not a happy day.

The Patricks said...

Sounds like you are making your everyday life your mission field until God reveals the big picture to you and your family. That's what we all should be doing, though it's so easy to get caught up in the mundane routine of every day. God has you right where He wants you right now! And you are serving Him well!

Yes, Hootie's lead singer now sings country - his first song was "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" - you'll recognize the voice instantly.

I enjoy keeping up with you guys through your blog. You are doing a great job serving the Lord in whatever mission field He has laid before you now.

Tracie P.

Amy said...

Oh, Dee Dee. You know I feel your pain. I LOVE Dr. Seuss' Oh, The Places You'll Go. I can't read it without tearing up, and I know that is silly. But, right in the middle of the journey it talks about the "waiting place". It's perfectly described as being no fun -- but it's temporary.

I know that you don't need me to tell you that we don't do ANYTHING that is not eternal. It's very easy to get caught up in our lives being so very mundane, but I believe it all has meaning. And, when we look at it that way, we get to join in all that God is doing all around us. We just never know when someone glances our way and maybe just needs a smile. Or, someone we know needs to vent :). It's all important to our Father, and He places us in opportunities where we can participate in drawing others deeper into His love. And, I'm pretty sure those folks in Austin are just as important to Him as the ones in Mozambique.

I'm very glad you feel the freedom to openly share in this way, so that we can encourage you and pray for you. We sure miss the five of you.

Love,
Amy