Thursday, October 22, 2009

Potential Bliss

This year we decided to school three weeks on and take a week off and to pretty much school year-round.  We have found that we I just don’t do very well without some routine and structure to our days, even in the summer.  So, the first week we took off was for a trip to Dallas to see my dad and for me to go to an alumni board meeting since I hadn’t been to one in over three years.  Pathetic.

This week has the potential to be pure heaven.  I have been saving up some projects to work on during our week off.  I’m planning to sew Christmas shirts for the girls to wear in our Christmas card picture.  If they turn out decently, I may post a picture of the shirt, but I don’t want to give away too much of what our card may look like. 

My other project is to finish the girls’ Halloween outfits.  I’ve got Aubrie’s pretty much wrapped up, Jessie’s requires no work (super), and I haven’t even started on Emma’s.  I really want to have these finished over the weekend so I can devote the rest of my time to the sewing of shirts and my other big project.

As anyone who has been in our home knows, we don’t have much “new'” stuff.  We kinda sorta inherited furniture from my family for which I’m very grateful.  However, none of our stuff is of the valuable antique sort.  It’s worn, not particularly attractive, BUT it is solid wood and well-made, and so, much to sweet man’s dismay, I don’t want to part with any of it.  I am hoping to give it a face-lift.  I am trying to be realistic about this project because stripping and painting furniture always takes forever.  I’m starting with the smallest piece, a bedside table, and we’ll see what happens from there.  I would love to finish all three pieces, but this is VERY unrealistic.

So, if we can avoid major catastrophe for a week, and the weather cooperates, this week could such a fun break for me!  I’m keeping my fingers crossed!!

No comments: