Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Little Advice for a Big Mess

So, our appraisal is supposed to happen tomorrow, and I will try to remember to let you know how it goes.  Praying for God’s plan to unfold.

In the mean time, we are packing as if everything is going forward which brings me to my need for advice. Our office-type stuff is such a huge mess!   We are so hodgepodge in this area, and it’s about to drive me crazy. 

We need space for the following:

income tax records

past bills

insurance claims records

vehicle info – registration and titles

tape, staplers, calculators, envelopes, rulers, paper clips, stamps, notepads, computer paper

USB cords for cameras

software

blank CDs and DVDs  

I really want to turn over a new leaf when we move and somehow pull together a cohesive way of storing all our stuff.  So, where/how do you store your “office” type stuff?  Also, how long do you keep bills/medical records, etc.?  I tend to be a little bit of a packrat so I need some advice in this area, too.  I realize I could probably go online for this sort of advice, but I don’t have the time right now.  Maybe later.

All of our stuff is contained in a two-drawer filing cabinet, a plastic filing box, stackable drawers and a tray set I used when I taught school a million years ago.  It all looks very dorm-room somehow (not to mention messy), and for someone who has been out of college for a VERY long time, this just seems so unacceptable.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that all this junk is in our bedroom which is just a disaster.  We used to have an office nook so it wasn’t really an issue because we could easily hide it all.  We’re not sure yet where it’s going to end up in the new house, but I think I need to get my brain going on some creative solutions.  I would LOVE your suggestions because we obviously need serious help.

2 comments:

Jill said...

as far as how long to keep stuff...J would be the best to answer that instead of myself! But we keep ours in a file cabinet in our closet. We have the smallest master closet known to man yet if you put it up under the clothes it fits nicely. This has been a major issure with us too...I know there are expandable file folders for the bills during pregnancy (haha!)Yet, we do have a desk as well...for other stuff. It tends to get messy but with the new room we're really working on that!

Amy Lafayett said...

We broke down and bought a four drawer filing cabinet (like Jill mentioned above). It is in a closet as well. We file lots of information in it. We also use one drawer for cords, cd, etc. . . no file folders at all. You can even fit a shoe box size box or two in a drawer. . . the larger cabinets seem to be a bit deeper than the small two drawer units.

As for office supplies we are using a rolling microwave cart (that we actually used for a microwave at one point). I have a few reams of copy paper stacked on the bottom shelf, along with some folders, notebooks, etc. I have a couple of baskets on the top shelf (not the top of the cabinet) with supplies like staples, calculator, etc. And a basket with note pads, envelopes, etc. And I still have the top of the cart (where the microwave sat) that is empty. Sometimes it ends up stacked with junk (magazines, mail, etc) or you can use it to put your printer on. :)