Sunday, November 18, 2007

Safely to the land where bigger is better...

I really do love Texas, but it's so true that here if it's bigger, it is, by all means, better. This has nothing to do with anything in particular except that is the one stereotype of Texas that I find to be true.

I always swore that I was never going to have a vehicle with a DVD player in it. (Mer, I think we talked about that once.) By golly, if I could play license plate games, so could my kids! Well, let me tell you that eating crow (Is that the correct use of that expression?) never tasted sooo good! The girls did great on the trip from MS to TX. They watched Peter Pan before nap and Little Mermaid after. That just about got us to Grand Prairie without a major meltdown. Notice I said, "almost." About an hour out from my dad's house, Aubrie decided that she'd had enough of the van. My mommy resources were slim. I had stayed up way too late the night before, and my Starbucks double shot was wearing off. I was threatening all kinds of torture if she didn't quiet down when Nanny called. Oh, did God ever know that I needed Nanny to call at that moment. Just hearing me say that Nanny was on the phone brought the first cessation of crying that we'd had in about 20 minutes. They talked about the kitties and how much Nanny loved her for a good while. Peace, silence, even some laughter! Thank the Lord for Nannies!! Aubrie hung up on Nanny a couple of times, but I was not daunted! I called her back and handed Aubrie the phone. "Wanna talk to Nanny?" Of course she did!! Several conversations later we were exiting off the highway. Aubrie began to cry again, but the end was in site. Besides, I was marveling at all the places that were just blocks from my dad's house...Khol's, Target, Starbucks, Taco Cabana. Oh, to be in the land of my birth!

So, I just rambled on and on without any paragraph breaks, but I'm far too tired to go back and decide where they should be. Gonna leave it like it is. Hope that everyone has a great Thanksgiving with the people they love. I'm so looking forward to seeing some friends and visiting with family that haven't even met my younger two children...absolutely dreadful, I know.


5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad your trip was a success. Only a half hour of fussing??? Come on...that's a blessing (but not when your in the midst of it!)! We miss y'all. Have a safe trip!

Unknown said...

I'm headed that way in 23 days! The stars at night...Are big and bright...

Sherrey

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Dee Dee,

We made it to Arkansas at 11pm...17 hours after we left Colorado! Whew! And yeah, we have the dvd player too. We did have that conversation a while back, and let me tell you, that crow was worth eating!! It is truly a lifesaver on long road trips, but I do make 'em turn it off to play the license plate game in between movies!

Glad you're there safe. Has Grand Prairie changed a lot since the mid-90s??

Dickinson Family said...

Dee Dee,
Do you know the address for Lisa Gunn's website? I wanted to check out her Christmas cards...

Robyn

Dee Dee said...

Robyn - here'e Lisa's website; so full of cute stuff for those of you who haven't checked it out. My friend Lisa designs all kinds of cute things that make great gifts!!http://www.shopgracenotes.com/

Mer - it's amazing how the whole area just continues to grow when you think they've already taken up the usable space. Probably the biggest changes are between Carrier and The Parks Mall - just tons of stuff!!