Thursday, November 8, 2007

This is only a test...

'Tis the season for colds, and our house has already experienced it's share. We really needed to bite the bullet and see the doctor so this morning I called and made an appointment. I knew it was going to be tight - we had 45 min. to get ready. Not much for me and three wee ones who were still finishing up breakfast! We rushed around, and I determined that there was not time for "fixing" my hair and doing the whole make-up thing. Au naturale...so not my favorite way to leave the house.

We get buckled in only 5 minutes late which is really good for me. Plus, it takes all of 2 seconds to get to our doctor's office around the corner. I put the key in the ignition, turn the key, nothing, nada; the thing doesn't even pretend to turn over. Back inside we all go. Cancelled appointment, tow truck called.

In my brain, I hear the words, "This is only a test." I have to admit I did let a few tears fall in the van - such a girl moment for me. But then, I remembered lines from one of my favorite books of all time, The Hiding Place, when Corrie's sister Betsie is praising God for the lice in their barracks. Corrie is less-than-enthusiastic in this exercise but goes along for the ride. Later, they find out that they are able to hold their Bible study in the barracks because the guards won't come in for fear of catching the lice.

Okay, I'm not in a German concentration camp - my test is so small in comparison, but I think the principle is still the same! God has a purpose in the van not starting. Maybe it's just to see if I'll loose it or not - something I'm constantly having to pray about. Whatever the reason, God is sovereign, and there is much peace in that!

4 comments:

Jill said...

I love this!! You're a great blogger. You make me want to sign on and read...even though I already knew the story. I can't wait to read what's next. Oh, how is the Charlotte Mason Companion? I've been wanting to read that one!

Dickinson Family said...

okay... I'm the superficial one! How did you get your cute name under your blog???
And Dito Jill! You make me want to read also. Thanks for being uplifting!

Dee Dee said...

A friend of mine told me about her friend's site where she tells you how to create a signature.

http://ernestdebra.blogspot.com/2007/07/signature-how-to.html

Have fun! If I can do it, anyone can. Truly!

Dee Dee said...

Jill, I've just started the book so I'll let you know in a day or two. It's one I've been wanting to read for a while - since the meeting we went to last year where the amazing mom talked about teaching history.